Fisher Service Offers Affordable Transmission Flushes in Boulder
As a family owned and operated service center, our Fisher Service staff works hard to treat Boulder drivers like a part of the family, and that includes keeping you informed about some of the most important auto maintenance needs drivers tend to neglect—like transmission flushes. The transmission is one of the most important parts of your vehicle, seamlessly switching gears and keeping your car, truck, or SUV running smoothly and efficiently. But why do you need a transmission flush?
The short answer is to avoid transmission repair, but vehicles need transmission fluid flushes for the same reason they need oil changes: to clean out any grit or grime that has built up over time and replace any used transmission fluid with new, fresh quarts.
What is a Transmission Flush?
A transmission flush is just what it sounds like: the old transmission fluid is flushed out of your vehicle, cleaning solutions are run through it to clear out any debris, and fresh fluid is loaded into your engine.
This might sound a lot like changing your transmission fluid, but the flushing out of the old fluid by a professional grade machine is incredibly important to ensure your transmission can do its job well. On the other hand, a fluid change tends to only drain about 20-40% of the transmission fluid, using gravity to release some of the old fluid but failing to completely clean out your transmission.
Now, how often you need to flush your transmission will depend on the make and model of your vehicle—the easiest way to know is to check your manual—but we recommend every 25-30,000 miles. And when you visit Fisher Service for your transmission fluid flush, you can rest assured that we will use only manufacturer recommended fluids and replacement parts in every service, including your transmission flush.
Signs You Need a Transmission Flush
Some drivers are closely in tune with the performance of their cars, but even they can miss some issues that point to a necessary transmission flush. Take a look at some telltale signs and see if you’re in need of a flush:
- Trouble Shifting Gears: While this is far more noticeable to drivers of manual transmission vehicles, the automatic switches gears too, and if you see that your engine’s struggling to make it up to the next gear, you could need a transmission flush.
- Slipping Gears: A dirty transmission can cause your vehicle to skip over one gear and move right onto the next, jarring both you and your engine.
- Surging of the Vehicle: Inconsistent transmission fluid flow—often caused by a clog—can cause your vehicle to surge forward (or backward) while driving.
- Delayed Vehicle Movement: If your car stalls for a second or two before settling into a gear and moving forward, and there are no other problems with your transmission, a fluid flush is in order.
- Transmission Noises: Maybe you hear a grinding or another strange noise as you drive. That’s often a sign of insufficient transmission fluid or a clog in the system, both of which are fixed by a transmission flush.
Recommended Transmission Fluids
As with oil there are many different types and grades of transmission fluids, but some can actually cause damage to your car if it isn’t calibrated for it. Synthetic transmission fluids, for example, can cause parts of your transmission to degrade and need repair or replacement. It’s incredibly important to use the right fluids, not only so that your vehicle runs at peak performance but to keep you from needing costly transmission work.
The technicians here at Fisher Service are diligent and use only manufacturer recommended materials in all of our services, including transmission flushes.
Transmission Flush Cost at Fisher Service
We have three different services available at Fisher Service to help you care for your vehicle, depending on what you may need.
- A transmission fluid drain and fill (if available) starts at $98.95
- A transmission fluid drain and fill with filter replacement (if available) starts at $219.95
- A full transmission flush (recommended every 25-30,000 miles) with power back flushing of the transmission, new filter, fill, and assembly starts at $375.00.
It may seem like the transmission fluid flush is expensive, but if you spend $30-40 on an oil change every 3,000 miles—like you should—your transmission costs about the same to maintain and can end up costing you so much more in repairs if it is not well taken care of. A full transmission flush is an investment in the longevity of your vehicle.
Schedule a Transmission Flush at Fisher Service Today
Some drivers don’t even know that they need to get their transmission flushed, going tens of thousands of miles and not understanding why their transmission breaks down and needs thousands of dollars in repairs. There’s a good chance you’re behind on your transmission flush, so schedule yours today at Fisher Service in Boulder to keep your vehicle in top shape.